Wednesday, August 3, 2011

There Must be Something in the Water!

Last summer Alex and I moved to the East end of Toronto. To be more precise, we live near Coxwell and Danforth. We are a ten minute walk from the beach and almost steps from the Bloor/Danforth Subway.
The neighbourhood is really cute and relatively affordable for a young family.
Most of the houses are semi-detached (except ours); there are parks and shops nearby; and there are two farmer's markets within walking distance on two separate days.
We also live by an elementary school and down the street from a high school.

Where ever schools are, children are easily found.
People like to live near the school where their children go. It makes sense. I lived a decent walk (on little legs) from my elementary school while my friends also lived within the neighbourhood.
There are children EVERYWHERE in this neighbourhood. They are climbing the trees, chasing after their pets, playing on their front lawns and even running after the ice cream trucks.

Considering the average house size in the neighbourhood is about 1000 square feet, one would think that maybe these homes would house maybe one child? NOPE, two or three or even four children can be stuffed into our little homes. In Europe, people have children in tiny apartments. If they can do it, we can too. I'm up for the challenge of having children in minimal space.
Minimal space or not, the families of my neighbourhood have been busy getting busy!
(I promise that the rest of the post is not icky).

Yesterday was my two-year wedding anniversary.
Neither Alex nor I are particularly romantic and after we bought our house, we have been trying to conserve our funds (not to mention that we have a very expensive little person joining our two-some very soon). We decided that instead of a weekend away, we would create a tradition of something we could do in the city.
On our wedding night, we had a bunch of our good friends join us for tapas and dessert (care of the staff at the hotel where our wedding was hosted). It was a beautiful day followed by a super yummy dinner with our good friends. We decided that we would celebrate subsequent wedding anniversaries eating tapas and enjoying each other's company. So that's what we did!
There is a really good Gluten Free tapas bar within walking distance of our house. Its called Relish.
The food is a bit pricey but totally worth it. We even stayed for dessert (Sambuca creme brûlée and flour-less chocolate cake). Yum! ( An aside: if you were wondering, the creme brûlée was enjoyed lactaid-free and I'm feeling great!) If anyone wants more info, let me know. Also, if you want to take me there, I will gladly go.

Anyway, on our way to and from the restaurant, we noticed that almost every woman we passed was pregnant.
I made a joke to Alex that all these women were going to be the parents of 'Peanut's' friends, bullies and carpool buddies to Hebrew school.
It was amazing to see how many women are pregnant in our neighbourhood. Is this normal?
Our next door neighbours are also expecting. They are due the week after us.
Friends of ours who live around the corner are having a baby in early January.

Social theory aside about the trends of birthrates of children of Boomers, I think that Toronto has spiked the water with something to encourage a mass spawning.
How did all these people become pregnant at the same time?
I can tell you that there wasn't anything particularly special about the winter or spring of 2011 that would entice conception (for example, no hurricane, major blackout or unbearable snowstorm). It was a long winter and a cold spring. Nothing we aren't used to in Canada. Also, might I add that I was in New Zealand for the worst of the winter weather of 2011 and I promise all of you that I came home just as non-pregnant as I left.
When Alex and I lived in Halifax, nine months after Hurricane Juan there were lots of babies. Funny enough, nine months after 'White' Juan (the most insane snowstorm I've ever seen!), again there were lots of babies. Both storms were about six months apart. People are definitely turned on by a good storm. Toronto hasn't seen anything that crazy weather wise, trust me.

With all the moms-to-be, I'm pleased that there are going to be lots of playmates for 'Peanut'. This means that school will be a buzz with parents not unlike myself and that the neighbourhood will continue to be safe and fun for everyone.
The best part about this is that nothing says 'gentrification' like a swarm of little kids around.
I love my 'hood but it has some creepy aspects to it. The soccer clubs open at all hours and the numerous old stores and pawn shops selling God-knows-what can soon be replaced by toy stores, candy stores and a Starbucks.
This is all hoping that the good people of Coxwell and Danforth can handle raising their children in their tiny homes. My parents did it and so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment