Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pregnant at Halloween= WIN!!

I know I promised all of you a story about how I tried to swaddle my cat. I honestly haven't tried it yet. There were a few factors keeping me from swaddling Marley today.
The first excuse is long and complicated so I'll narrow it down by saying that I've done a LOT of exercise this week (yes, I know its only Tuesday) but my fat little feet aren't moving so quickly to chase after my fur-ball of a cat. I'm best suited for a horizontal position at this juncture. I've done 3 Body Attack classes (taught 2) and a Pump class. I've also trained many of my clients and I'm amazed that I can even sit up.

The second excuse works with the first because I haven't cut Marley's nails this week, yet. Again, I blame my feet for not wanting to chase the cat and hold him down to cut his nails (a necessary precaution when you are in for a vicious mauling).

The final excuse is that after doing a couple thousand loads of laundry, I don't really want to fur-up my clean towels so fast. Marley sheds when he gets stressed. I wonder if Alex would mind coming out of the shower and towelling off and being covered in a coat of cat fur? I suspect he would. I think it would make him extra fuzzy and cute (like the cat), but I'm sure he'd be pretty pissed off if he was expecting to get clean from taking a shower. That is the purpose of bathing; isn't it?
I'll get there. Don't you worry. Marley will be swaddled and he will hate it. My face will be attacked and my arms will be chewed up but in the end. If I can swaddle MY cat, I can swaddle anything.

And now for something completely different!

Halloween is nearing! Woo-Hoo!
Every year Alex and I carve a nifty pumpkin (except last year when there was a great pumpkin shortage and we didn't get one in time). When we were living in Halifax, Alex and I carved super pumpkins. We had a Pac-pumpkin which had Pac Man eating some dots; and we also carved a puzzle pumpkin with puzzle pieces. They were great.
This year we are planning on carving a pumpkin again but we are at a loss for ideas. If anyone has any good ones, let us know.
(Side note: the barfing pumpkin was done by my parents' last year [I think] so that one is out of the question).

Pumpkins and dressing Marley up in a sheet or a tutu aside, Halloween is best known for CANDY!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!

I love candy! There are a few types that I really like that are guaranteed Gluten Free. Sweet tarts, Maynards berries and Reese Peanut Butter cups rank up there for my top 3.
I've never been worried about eating as much halloween candy as I can and I'm not about to start now (especially now). So I look a little rounder come November. Big deal. This year, I will be guaranteed to look rounder come the beginning of November no matter how much candy I hoover. Good thing I don't have gestational diabetes. That would be my only deterrent from celebrating probably the BEST Hallmark holiday ever!
Delicious (and totally worth it) weight gain aside, I love the idea of a variety of little candies all in one box. Every time you stick your hand in there, its a surprise! This could also backfire if you have a box full of disproportional amounts of candies that you may or may not like (like the starburst/skittles box. You could end up with lemon Starbursts every time you reach in for a treat. Fail).

Last year we had over 100 trick or treaters at our house. Alex had to make a candy-run to the local Shoppers Drug Centre just so that we didn't have to turn kids away. I admit, I ate some of the candy last year but Alex has a sneaky way of making sure I won't eat all of it; he buys the stuff I don't like and the stuff I can't eat. Coffee Crisp, Kit Kat and Smarties are on my 'don't eat' list. Alex loves them. Luckily, they are all in one easy box with Aero bars. I like Aeros but not enough to crack open the box.
So today we bought a box of 'Emma death candy' and a box of Hershey's chocolates. Well, the Hershey's chocolates do NOT stand a chance of making it to halloween. The minute we put the groceries away, that box was open and two caramel chocolates were in my tummy. I would like to say that I was satisfied after this, but no. The rest of the evening turned into a chocolate-fest as 'Peanut' and I gorged myself with Hershey's finest.
Here's the visual: Emma lying on her bed with her sore and swollen "piggies" (feet) on a pillow; tummy and chest covered in chocolate wrappers and face covered in chocolate. I'm a sexy thing!
If I keep this behaviour up, this will be not only our first child but also our last.
I told Alex that if I ate all the candy, I would replace it for the kiddies. We don't want to turn away trick or treaters so I'll close the box, brush my teeth, have a cold glass of milk and call it a night.

For any other preggos out there who, unlike me, are being careful about their weight gain and are abstaining from enjoying this time of year;  eat the damn candy and enjoy it. You don't have to overdo it but remember that this is your body and it is doing amazing things already. It can handle halloween and some indulgence.
From a personal training standpoint I would have to say that so long as you are getting 60 minutes of exercise every day, halloween candy consumption should not be a concern.
Finally, pregnancy can be restrictive. We preggos have given up drinking, unpasteurized cheeses, honey, and other amazing forms of fun. Remember to take time for yourself and don't kick yourself for making decisions that you think will make you happy (even for the short term). Be good to yourselves mentally and physically now and always (even if it means attacking a box of mini chocolate bars just to make your night awesome).

No comments:

Post a Comment