Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thank you all so much! (And how Emma got her sandwich).

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post. Alex and I really appreciate all the love and support.
I don't want to make this blog mushy so we will leave it at that.

I have a super story about how hormones have the potential to exacerbate an already lousy situation, and how a simple sandwich can make everything feel right again.

How Emma got her Sandwich- by: Yours Truly

After about eleven weeks of pregnancy and four of those weeks feeling malnourished due to food aversions, Alex and I found ourselves in surprisingly good spirits. I really wanted a Subway sandwich and nothing else would suffice. It was getting to the point of obsession. I would count Subways on my way to and from my house on all my outings. I know where almost all of them are in the GTA. I tried not to let it get the best of me but a specific series of unfortunate events brought out the "crazy" in a whole new dimension.

Three weeks ago Sunday, after a long day of multiple loads of laundry, we noticed that our dryer was no longer drying our clothes. No biggie. The weather here in Toronto had just started to turn around in our favour, and this meant that line-drying could be fashionable and energy-conscious. Alex agreed to find the necessary part for the dryer and fix it himself. As a handy engineer who helped design an underwater ROV in University, I had (and still have) full confidence that he can fix anything (except the washing machine).
We left the dryer for a couple of days feeling that there was no real urgency in having dry clothes.
Last Wednesday morning at about 4:45am, I was jolted out of bed by a horrible noise. It sounded like the pipes were backing up onto my bedroom floor. Sure enough, they were. The pipes of our cat, Marley, had backed up all over the green mat we have at the end of our bed. All of a sudden, my "Mommy" instincts kicked into high gear and I had to deal with this problem immediately. Marley was fine; just coughing up some post-winter hairballs, but the mat was not. I quickly rolled up the mat and ran downstairs to pop it into the washing machine.
When I got there, I noticed that the washing load from the previous night had not completed its cycle. Strange!
So I threw the mat into the load and reset the washer. I added more soap and turned it on. Water went in; water went out; spinning didn't happen. Hmmm. I went upstairs to find Alex sitting on the couch in the living room staring at the cat and another puddle of Marley's "Liquid Meow". I said, "the washing machine doesn't work". He said, "Marley barfed again". Only one of those things were dealt with that night and I can tell you that it wasn't the washing machine.
By 5:15am, we both crawled back into bed and pondered over our new issues. I worried that the cat was really sick, while Alex lay awake for two hours trying to figure out how to fix the washing machine.
Alex left for work around 8, and I got up and moving around 9. After cleaning up cat vomit, I was feeling a little woozy myself so I took my time starting my day.
After some breakfast, I checked my email and found that Alex had infact taken a look at the washing machine and decided that he couldn't fix it. He also mentioned that Marley had made another liquid meow in front of the basement TV. Ugh!
That night, I exploded. I just wanted the things in my house to work. All of these emotions were exacerbated by hormones. Yes, I cried; but only after Alex proceeded to clog the upstairs toilet. Nothing in my house functioned the way it was supposed to; myself included. I couldn't think straight for the life of me. All thoughts were jaded by the inexplicable urge to hoover a footlong veggie sub. I would visualize myself doing something productive an then all of a sudden images of crunchy lettuce, juicy tomato and a fluffy bun were in my head. I was loosing my mind and there was no way I was going to be able to get it back.
This story does have a remotely happy ending. I never got the REAL sub but my "sub"-stitute worked perfectly.

To this day, our washing machine still doesn't work but the dryer is working great! We cleaned out all the lint and crap from the previous owners and we replaced the heating assembly. I've been hand washing most of my exercise clothes and we have been fortunate enough to have our parents' washing machines at our disposal.
Marley is feeling much better. We determined that he ate all his winter fur and that we've seen the last of it.
As for the hormones, they are still making me feel "Banana-Town Crazy-Pants" but last Friday, I baked gluten free buns for submarine sandwiches. They were awesome. Please don't hesitate to ask me how I did it. It was really easy and didn't take much skill or time.
My sub craving was satisfied and funny enough, the world seemed right again. It is amazing what satisfying a craving can do for your mood.
Now, if we had only known that a sandwich was going to calm me down, I would have made one for myself last Wednesday morning at 4:45am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment