Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Emma's Hunger Strikes Back

I've had a blissful couple of weeks. No nausea, no cramping and no 4am snacks. I've actually been lucky enough to sleep through the night without running to the toilet to pee.
Second Trimester really is a treat. I've had some uncomfortable symptoms but nothing worth noting.
I've actually started to show a little. I no longer look like an inflated version of myself but rather an inflated version of myself with a round, hard tummy. The water retention is a drag but my feet and hands are generally fine. I can still wear my rings but my 'piggies' get a little swollen after trapsing around in Birkenstocks or sneakers for too long.

As mentioned before, I've been able to sleep the night without needing to eat. I am going to attribute that to the ravenous munching I've been participating in throughout the day. I get it; I'm a pregnant athlete. The funniest part about this is that I don't crave anything, I CRAVE EVERYTHING! If I can eat it, I want it!

This all began Thursday.
Alex and I went grocery shopping and knowing that my diet was lacking, I picked up Vega whole food powder. (If you haven't tried this stuff, I promise you that your like will change forever once you have). It's safe for preggos and comes as a complete breakfast including a much needed serving of greens. It also has the magical fiber ingredients needed for someone who has a monster dancing on their intestinal tract.
Vega is vegan, gluten free and offers vitamins and minerals many of us are lacking. You can make it into a traditional shake or combine it with other raw ingredients for homemade protein bars at a fraction of the cost of the store bought ones. (Just remember to chase the bars with TONS of water).
I've been eating the Vega for about 5 days now and noticing more energy and an all 'round better outlook on everything. (I wasn't kidding about having my life changed by this stuff).
The other thing I've noticed is that it reclaimed my appetite. It may have something to do with having a giant shake for breakfast but two hours after digestion (and a solid hour of exercise every morning), I'm so hungry I could eat my cat. Luckily my cat knows this and makes a hasty retreat whenever he knows I'm home from a workout.
26 grams of protein and heaps of fibre are supposed to fill you, no?
The answer is simply, yes.
For me, nothing is ever simple.

For tropical storm Emma there is a fridge full of healthy snacks which she can Hoover. Today, she did. Pregnancy is supposed to make you hungry. Doctors recommend that you consume an extra 300 calories of healthy snacks each day to sustain a healthy weight gain for you and the baby. I'm doing it! I'm doing it enough for triplets!
There is no recommended intake of calories for pregnant athletes. Doctors just assume that once the baby comes out, the weight will melt off because of your already revved up metabolism. I don't really care about the weight gain. I'm seriously enjoying the apples, cottage cheese (with lactaid), cereal and nuts I've been devouring.

As a lactose intolerant celiac, I am pleased to say that ice cream and croissant are off the menu. This is a huge relief to Dr. Steve and Alex who both have to deal with the repercussions of me going from cute hungry pregnant Emma to unhealthy hippo.
I don't bless my food issues. They are a pain in the ass. For this cause, they are not only saving my baby's life, but they are sustaining my long term health as well. I don't recommend a GF and LF diet for any pregnant woman unless under the supervision of their doctor, but I will say that it really has been the best thing for me (and 'peanut'). Let's see what happens in December after this baby comes out and it's not a 40lb baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment