Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hard Boiled Eggs: Must be Road Trip Time!

Before I begin this post, I would like to take the time to thank everyone who has been following my blog. I really hope its been entertaining (if not crudely written). I have had a lot of positive feedback and I really appreciate the support. Thank you!

This weekend Alex and I are headed up to the Crandall family cottage with my parents. The whole mishpucha (family) will be there, except for two of our sisters. We will miss you guys. I'm so lucky to have such a great family. It is such a treat that my parents and inlaws like each other so much. I can't wait to be with all of them this weekend.

Every time I go to the cottage I pack food. I have to! Being a Glutard, I can't count on there being gluten free chow up there for my convenient snacking or nighttime cravings. The one thing we can count on being at the cottage is beer. I can't have that even when I'm not pregnant so I better pack wisely.

When we went up to the cottage in May, I made the mistake of asking Alex whether or not we should peace out or stay for lunch on the final day. He chose to stay for lunch. I didn't have enough food. Alex had himself a "new one" torn for him when we realized just how hungry and cranky I could get without lunch. We both learned valuable lessons that weekend: 1. I should always over pack food and 2. It doesn't matter what Alex thinks, I'm calling the shots when it comes to pretty much everything food. He's not pregnant, nor is he a Glutard. The poor guy can't win this one.

This weekend is extra special because my Mom and Dad are coming up with us. They are also pro food packers. They always have snacks at the ready and know the horrible wrath of Preggosaurs Emma when there isn't enough chow. My family has a saying that we truly live by, "it isn't a road trip without hard boiled eggs!"
To this day, I can't remember a road trip with my family that didn't include hard boiled eggs.
I personally believe that eggs are the perfect food. They are full of protein and you can eat them without the use of any utensils. For everybody else, hard boiled eggs on a road trip seems downright bizarre. Eggs often require salt and once you crack open the container, everyone turns to each other and immediately denies creating that awful fart smell. "It was the eggs, I swear!"
For this trip, we are bringing them! Of course we are!
Alex is the only one in the car who doesn't like them so we plan to stink him out. Poor guy. Unfortunately, we are taking his car. There will soon been a permanent egg funk that only a dead skunk can rival. Just so you know, I'm really not trying to make him miserable. I plan on picking up a yummy sandwich and other munchies for him so he doesn't have to worry about eggs. I was thinking Hummus and veggies might combat egg stink with garlic stink. Also, everyone knows that chickpeas have a future effect that can often smell worse than the eggs. He'll get me back for this one. He knows my fart kryptonite. Also, being pregnant can make one exceptionally gassy. He really doesn't have to try that hard.

If anyone is looking for a nice gift to get Alex for his birthday, I have a few options. 1. New wife and inlaws who won't stink up his snazzy car with egg or 2. Air fresheners.
I think the second option is a better fit. He could get a new wife and inlaws that won't egg up his car but I can't guarantee that they will appreciate the humor of the folks that do.

No comments:

Post a Comment