Monday, July 25, 2011

Never tell a pregnant woman that she looks huge!

My first piece of advice would be to not dish it out unless you can take it. As for the expectant mother, she can really dish it out so be extra careful with what you say to her.

Hormones are responsible for about ninety percent of my craziness when I'm not pregnant. The other ten percent crazy is genetics (Thanks Parents!). During pregnancy, I have found that my moods have been relatively pleasant and that I've toned down my craziness but upped my sensitivity factor. For example, instead of screaming like a banshee at Alex for not running the dishwasher (a bizarre behaviour that would otherwise be seen during any other time of my life), I would simply run the dishwasher and move on. An example of the sensitivity factor can be seen when I plop myself down in front of the 'Women's Network' for a Sunday afternoon RomCom and cry the entire way through. Let me tell you, there is something about Kate Hudson that makes my eyes water every time! I understand that this is strange, hence why I'm writing about it.

The sensitivity factor of my hormonal roller coaster is responsible for the ways in which I can handle what people say to me and when. Generally, I'm pretty cool. I wouldn't consider myself a particularly sensitive person. I can laugh at myself and I have enough self-esteem to handle a good teasing at times. Alex is thankful because he accuses himself of often having a "prickly" demeanour. He does, and that's why he gets TOLD when the dishwasher isn't run or the kitty litter isn't fresh. We have an understanding about each other's personalities (after ten years we'd only hope we understand each other), and we never take it too far.
Even pregnant, I still laugh at being the butt of many jokes. These jokes are usually directed at my personality and mannerisms. These jokes are never about my body because even not pregnant, joking about someone's body is tasteless. Yup, this topic is automatically too far.

(Author's note: You can laugh at the upcoming paragraphs about my body. I wrote them as entertainment. I'd rather be laughed with than laughed at. So enjoy!).

Recently, I have been feeling like my body has been slowly morphing into hippo-like proportions even though if you ask anyone (other than my mother), I look great. Having a little monster live inside you shifts your hold world, literally. I nearly fell on my face yesterday while picking up a shopping bag. My balance is completely off and it makes even the simplest tasks like getting out of the car or bending over to tie the trash seem like a dangerous move, unless you want to face-plant into the ground. (Yum! Dirt!)

As a developing hippo, I feel like gracefulness is no longer a characteristic of my body that I need to worry about. Although, this sets me up for the comments from on-comers about how I'm waddling down the street; or holding my back (because it hurts); or, (my fav) that I'm huge.
HUGE! HUGE!
I don't yet weigh 150 lbs, and my baby tummy doesn't quite stick out. I look round and by breasts are bigger but there is nothing about me that screams huge. If you want huge, wait a few months. I'm only half way there and I can not only see my toes but I can touch them too.
I get it. Maybe I'm over reacting because of the hormones. The last time I checked, no one wanted to be called 'huge' even if they are huge.

Recently my Mom told me a story about how my sister dealt with a situation where she was being spoken to in an unfavourable manner and she calmly responded with, "If what you are really saying is...".
I think my sister is brilliant and she handled that situation beautifully.
To take a page from the book of Wendy, I will respond to the unpleasant comments about my body by simply saying, "If what you are really saying [when you tell me that I look huge] is that I look healthy and beautiful? Then yes, I am."
My sister's way of dealing with situations like this are very cool and calm. Just a warning to everyone out there who dares comment on the epic proportions of any pregnant woman, we are not cool and calm. We are freaking out because we are always hot and dreading the day when we have to push our little monsters out of a very tight space.
If a pregnant woman responds to a comment about her ever-expanding-size with a comment from the book of Wendy, consider yourself lucky. But don't say I didn't warn you when you get the harshest verbal bitchslap of your life after telling a pregnant woman she has her own gravitational pull.

2 comments:

  1. when i was pregnant, i would WEEP at that dawn commercial where they are cleaning off the oily animals.

    also, after you have the baby, you will be even *more* off balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I love that commercial. It makes me want a pet otter.

    I can't imagine being so tippy and holding a newborn. Luckily Alex won't be so off balance.

    ReplyDelete