Friday, July 8, 2011

If you want free stuff and acts of chivalry, just get knocked up!

I love summer time for many reasons. First and most obvious being that my birthday falls right in the middle of the summer (July 20th if anyone wants to buy me presents).
Secondly, the food. All the summer fruit is in season and perfectly ripe right from the grocery store. I live to eat even when I'm not expecting. One of the jokes about being a fitness professional is that I only do this so that I can eat fatty cheese and cupcakes. I exercise because I love it but the cheese and cupcakes are always a bonus: (I'll get to more about cupcakes later).
Finally, I love the warm weather fashions. We can exchange our long coats and boots for Birkenstocks and summer dresses.

Summer fashion is always a hit or miss in Toronto. Because I like to believe we are the center of the Universe, we often attract alien ideas as to what is appropriate to wear out in public. Yes, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to fashion and I think that shorts that display the under part of your rear-end is unexceptable. (God help me if I have girls). Anyway, the reason I bring up summer fashion isn't because I want to bitch about the outfits women are wearing around that I can no longer wear because of stretch marks or varicose veins, its because with less clothes on, people can tell I'm pregnant. Finally.

I've found that this works to my advantage. People move aside on the sidewalk for me; they hold doors for me; and I get free stuff. It seems hard to believe that by sheer virtue of carrying a little life within me, people want to give me stuff. It actually doesn't seem hard to believe at all. For all the queasy mornings and other unsightly side effects, pregnant women should get everything for free (but that's just the hormones talking).

Anyway, today was a great day to be pregnant!
It started out like any other cottage packing out day. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get laundry, toilettries and food organized. I even managed to water our dying orange tree and feed the cat. En route to my parents' house (where we ALL depart from), I stopped at my favourite bakery for some gluten free bread and snacks and sandwiches for the rest of the crew. I spent under $40. Its not uncommon to walk out of there with day old bread or a cookie for free but today was different. I was wearing a pink, slender tank top and loose linen pants (fitted just under by belly). I was sticking out as either a fat girl with weight gain only around her middle or the obvious, a preggo. The woman who owns the bakery saw me, smiled and packed up a giant cupcake. It was delicious. I can't possibly look like I'm under fed but to top the whole thing off, she packed up a giant rum ball as well. I don't quite understand the rum ball but hey, the price was right. Alex will eat it. Rum aside, I prefer cupcakes and even then, too many sweet things give me heartburn.
I figured that the whole order for free would have been a little excessive and I didn't come in looking particularly pained so I'll gladly except the cupcake and rum ball as a token of kindness.

So I could write a whole post on how I scored free treats but that wouldn't WOW you, right?

Well,
When I went to the grocerey store to pick up some last minute fruit, the place was a zoo. I don't know if those people think that that particular store is the only gig in town selling food but it sure seemed like it. I only had a few items so I got into the express isle with my basket. The basket wasn't heavy. It had blueberries, bananas, apples and a cucumber in it. I had to walk it home in a bag anyway but the kind man in front of me in line looked at me and had pity on me. Why? He looked barely strong enough to hold the apples alone. Not that I'm complaining about good old fashioned chivalry, but he didn't have to let me go ahead of him in line all the while holding my basket. I am pretty sure he wasn't hitting on me because a pimply pregnant woman is not what I would call and interesting fetish and he was about 100 years old. I thanked him profusely and wished him a happy weekend.

So are you WOWed yet? Didn't think so. No worries.
All this excitement in one day. My own husband (God bless him), doesn't even hold things for me even when I ask him. He IS sweet enough to buy me a cupcake but we both know that freer is always better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment