Friday, July 22, 2011

Roasting 'Peanut'

As many of you know, Toronto has been undergoing its hottest weather on recorded history. Yesterday we hit 37 degrees and with the humidity it felt like 48 degrees.
Children, people with compromised immune systems and the elderly were advised to seek shelter and take extra precautions against the heat. Being pregnant, I'm included in the formal warning against the heat.
I must have consumed 20 liters of water and sweat out 24.

As a summer baby myself, I love the heat. I never let it slow me down. This year is a little different. 'Peanut' does not like the heat.

Two days ago, my 27th birthday, I went with my friend Steph to my 20 week ultrasound. It was an hour of someone pushing on my lower abdomen with a wand going ooh and ahh over the little person in there. Luckily Steph was there. Otherwise I would have had to pee the entire time and not been able to see anything. We looked at all of 'Peanut's' organs and all its fingers and toes. Everything is there and everything works. *Cue sigh of relief here*.
We also found out 'Peanut's' sex. I mentioned at the beginning of my blogging that I wasn't doing to disclose that information on the blog. If anyone wants to know, message or email me. This way I can keep it a surprise for everyone who either doesn't care or wants to be surprised in December.

Anyway, the heat.

So, after the ultrasound, Toronto was literally melting. The tar on the roads was bubbling and the people walking the streets were soaked in sweat. I was starting to feel a little awful. No worries, nothing two liters of water could't cure. I was right.
That night, neither Alex, nor 'Peanut' nor I slept. Our air conditioning works but our room was still 28 degrees.
Yesterday was worse.
So after a restless night, I got up to train. Luckily, there was a breeze but it was 6:30am and the temperature was already reading 34 with the humidity. My client was a rockstar. If she's reading this, she should know that she's a real trooper and I'm so proud of her. :)
I came home, tried to nap and left to train again. After I finished my second session of the day, I was feeling a little bizarre. I had plans to meet Steph again and we were going to go to the beach.
While I was waiting for Steph at the subway station, I consumed an entire liter of water and sweat it out. I don't think I've ever been so hot in my life. 'Peanut' started to kick. I wasn't feeling good. Steph showed up and I drove like a mad-woman to the lake. The five minute ride felt like an eternity. I parked the car and waddled as fast as I could into lake Ontario. The minute the cold water hit my feet, I felt immediately better. It was strange how quickly the water affected my enitre body. 'Peanut' must have liked that too. No longer was 'Peanut' being roasted but slightly chilled in the previously toxic lake. Hopefully, the Internet and population of lake swimmers are right and the lake is safe to swim in or else 'Peanut' is going to grow a third arm.
I felt so good. Getting out was not as nice but the water had refreshed me in a way that nothing else could have. (Someone probably dumped auto coolant into the lake and we are all still enjoying that cooling feeling).

Last night, still feeling great from my swim, I went to team teach Body Attack. It was great. I felt so good. I did end up crashing after dinner last night because I was so tired but I generally felt good.

So, why is it that the water has such an effect on me (or anyone else for that matter)?
Well, science says that if we cool our cores, we will feel cooler. All our major organs are cooking in there in extreme heat and once you cool them down, you are doing your body good. Cooling 'Peanut' is my biggest concern. Preggo's are not supposed to get too hot because they can cause brain damage to their fetuses. If that is the case, then how do women in the Middle East, Africa and India manage to have healthy babies? I guess they go swimming and drink water?

After a fantasicly hot week, Alex and I have decided to go to the cottage (to be close to our own lake). This should keep all three of us cool and happy.

Also, as a follow up to the swimsuit post, I found my diving rash guard and a running skirt. The rash guard works perfectly because I bought a boy's size so it's long and it also covers my shoulders to prevent burning. The running skirt is comfortable and dries quickly.
My mother said that I would always find a way to swim. She was right. No expensive maternity suit necessary. I would have run into the lake naked if I had to. Lucky for everyone, I didn't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment