Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shiny New Things Are Always In Danger of Cat Barf

As many of you know, we found, bought, and assembled 'Peanut's' furniture last Friday.

The room looks great.
Everything fits and better yet, the cat hates the rug. I did buy it to match him so that when he rolls around on it his fur would blend in and we wouldn't be stuck with a funky rug covered in grey cat hair. Ick.

Decor.

Alex and I debated decor for a while. We had a few good ideas and themes but nothing seemed to jump out at us. I originally wanted to paint a whole bunch of weird animal hybrids (like the famed 'hippo-croc' or the 'ant-aroo'), and frame pictures of these bizarre looking critters. It was going to be a lot of work and Alex didn't want to screw up the baby from the get go. He figures we have the next eighteen years to mess with 'Peanut'. Let's hold of the crazy until 'Peanut' can actually talk.
I didn't want anything too gender specific. I was thinking kitty cats or woodland critters.
You can actually buy baby room decor and everything can match! As much as I love matchy-matchy, this was not going to suffice. I'm way too nuts to have a cookie-cutter room.
That being said, we needed a theme.

We were at one of Alex's frisbee games a few weeks ago and it was soooooo buggy. Mosquitos are strange. I would have figured that by the middle of September, they would have all died off. Apparently not. Usually when we are being eaten by mosquitos, there are dragonflies nearby to snack down on the mosquitos for us. There were no dragonflies.
After a successful frisbee game and umpteen mosquito bites we came home and realized exactly what the baby's room needed. MORE COWBELL! Just kidding. Dragonflies!

I went to Umbra with my Dad and tried to buy 3D wall decals of dragonflies that I had previously seen on their website. They didn't have them in stock! Grrr.
Instead, I had a brilliant idea for a mobile. They had a photo hanger with tiny clips to hold the photos (or whatever you wanted to hang). I bought that instead.
It looked easy to assemble and came with all the hardware. The real debate was how we were going to make 59 dragonflies.

My Mom is a textile artist so I enlisted her help to figure out how to make 59 dragonflies. Neither of us though of the most obvious...Origami.
Eventually we did think of it, and after a few 'trial' dragonflies, I got it. Alex, in the meantime, had the origami dragonflies not only figured out, but improved from the original design. Leave it to an engineer to show us all how its done and improve on the design.
We made a swarm! After three days of dragonfly sweatshop we finally finished the masterpiece.
There won't be any mosquitos near 'Peanut'!

Last Friday, when I was shopping for furniture, I found the Umbra dragonflies I was looking for. I picked them up too. We have yet to put them up.

Overall, the room looks good. So good in fact, I had a hunch that something was going to mess it up and last night, it almost did.

I have been fiercely thirsty over the past few days. I get it. I'm pregnant. I also really kicked ass in my Attack class yesterday and I'm sure I sweat out moisture from my body that wasn't supposed to come out. Needless to say, I drank TONS of water yesterday. This made for multiple bathroom trips (especially when 'Peanut' changed positions to sit right on my bladder).
Alex and I went to bed about 11 and I went to the bathroom about four times before we were jolted out of bed by a horrible hacking noise. It was Marley. He was about to hork up a hairball right at the end of our bed. Alex picked up the cat and put him on the floor to continue his attempt at coughing up a hairball. We listened for the ceremonious "splat" to follow his horks meaning success. Nothing! I went back to the bathroom to grab some toilet paper incase we were in for a mess. Turns out, there was no mess. Marley couldn't spew up what was plaguing him so we both rolled over and tried to get back to sleep. Then it hit me!
I had to pee and I was sure that if Marley was going to puke anywhere, it was going to be in the baby room. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. After, I went into 'Peanut's' room to secure the area from Cat. Luckily, he wasn't in there. I closed the door and hopped back into bed. Alex was so confused. I told him that I was worried that if Marley was going to barf, it was going to be in 'Peanut's' room and he just lay there. I moved over to get comfortable and found a furry body nuzzled against my feet. It was Marley. Thank God!

Marley stopped horking and we all tried to get some sleep. I went back to the bathroom at about 5 and slept until 7:30.
There is still no sign of his "success". I opened the door to 'Peanut's' room for air circulation in the house. We will see what comes of this later on today. At least the dragonflies look cute! Too bad they don't fend of pukey cats and mosquitos. That would be a 'dogongfly'.

No comments:

Post a Comment