Thursday, September 29, 2011

5772! A Year and Post Dedicated to My Family!

Before I begin my post, I would like to wish all my Heebros and Semitic Sistas a heartfelt Shana Tova!
5772 is going to be an amazing year filled with love, excitement, and new beginnings. I can't wait!

I love this time of year.
The weather finally cooled so that I can sleep at night without air conditioning; the harvest is upon us; and this is a time for new beginnings.
For most of us, we make our New Years resolutions in January. This makes sense to me, obviously because of the new calendar  year, but here in Canada, January sucks. If we haven't already been hit with a snowy bitchslap in December, we are guaranteed at least six in January. Bundling up in your snow suit and braving the cold weather and armpit deep snow is never a good way to start the new year.
Being apart of the fitness industry, I know that most people fail their New Year's resolutions if they start in January. I tell my clients to start their resolutions in March instead. The method to my madness is that the weather begins to get a little nicer by March and there is more sunlight. Also, if you stick to your plan in March, you will be fit and fabulous by summertime.

That being said:

September/October is a fantastic time of year to reflect on ourselves and the kind of people we want to be and who we are most appreciative of.
(Trainer's note: Feel free to want to start a fitness regimen now. By the time the snow falls, you will be strong enough to dig yourself out of any predicament Mother Nature throws our way).

This year, Alex and I decided that we couldn't afford to go to synagogue for Rosh Hashanah. The price of synagogue membership compared to our usage doesn't make the investment worthwhile for us. Also, high holiday tickets would actually cost us our first born. As you all know, our first born hasn't been born yet so we can't sacrifice it for things like high holiday tickets, forbidden donuts, or (wait for it) a mystery box.
Being first borns ourselves, Alex and I are thankful we were not sacrificed by our parents however; a mystery box could have anything. How could anyone resist the allure of a mystery box?

There were a few years where I didn't go to synagogue for the high holidays. I was living in Halifax and I was not feeling super connected to the Jewish community. I missed it.
When I came home, we went!
This year, I miss it.
I don't miss waking up early for services and getting to Shul an hour before services because my parents' want a good seat. I miss spending the mornings with my family and my community. I even miss going to Bayview Village in my Shul clothes to find every other Jew who attended morning services also there for lunch or finding replacement pantyhose because the seats at Synagogue caught them and you are left with a run. (This needs immediate attention because you only own one pair of hose and you are going to need them for Yom Kippur). <-- Correct me if I'm wrong ladies!

So, instead of griping about how much I miss spending Rosh Hashanah services with my family, or about how I miss the fresh pair of pantyhose on this the "hole-y-est" (ha ha) day of the year, I think I'm going to reflect on the good I have and the good to come.
The best thing I have is my family. ( This includes my whole family--you too Crandalls!).

I'm going to my parents' house for dinner. My Dad is making rotisserie chicken. My parents' cooking is something I am forever thankful for. My Mom loved the post about how my Dad's turkey tasted like the bastard child of Swiss Chalet and Unicorn tears. His chicken is pretty amazing. I'm sure when God was thinking about delicious Rosh Hashanah dinners, God looked to my Dad and said, "Sid, thou shalt sacrifice not one, not two, but three of Costco's finest Kosher Chickens. You shall add the holy 'Sid-Spice' consisting of a blend of aromas which are pleasing to God (but not to Emma after they are digested by her husband, Alex). You can spin said spiced chickens for an hour over your Weber flame. This will create a pleasing odour to all who pass and remind all my children of the glory of God's work through Sid's cooking. You will share your bounty with your family, even if your son-in-law has terrible farts resulting from the delicious meal. I will pass-over your daughter's house this evening to ensure that the odour is fowl. Then I will know you have completed your Rosh Hashanah meal." (Sorry Alex. I'm sure these are God's words. Take it up with God). 

My childhood was amazing. My parents are incredible people. 
They worked their asses off so that my sister and I could have everything we could have ever dreamed of. I swam as an elite athlete and my sister chased (and still chases) her dreams of being an actor. Everything we ever wanted or strived for, my parents were there, chasing after us with their chequebooks and unwavering support.
We were very tight-knit (mostly because we all lived on top of each other in a tiny house). We are all still very close.
The one thing my parents could not supply were ample grandparents.
My Gramma (My Mom's Mom) is still alive but suffering from Alzheimers/Dementia. It breaks my heart to see my Mom struggle with the realization that my Gramma has been and still is mentally slipping away from her. I am thankful for my Gramma's presence in my life and my great memories of her (I'll save the best story for the post about Grandparent Corruption. You guys will love it). Both my Grandparents on my Dad's side died before I was born. They say you can't miss something you never had, but I do.
I understand that this is no one's fault and I by no means blame anyone for not having a load of Grandparents around me for hugs and kisses. My parents hugged and kissed Wendy and I, I'm sure, enough for a truck-load of Grandparents. There was no shortage of love in our house.

Alex is so lucky to have all of his Grandparents in good health. I'm REALLY happy about that.
'Peanut' is going to have not only two healthy and wonderful sets of Grandparents but the added advantage of five Great-Grandparents. Holy Cow! Lucky kid!

In keeping with the time of year and my "condition" (ha ha--> I love calling pregnancy that!), I would like to look forward to 5772 as being a year dedicated to my family. I am proud to have them and so so so lucky. Every single member of my family is amazing and wonderful. I can't thank everyone enough for their love and support through everything (i.e. almost flunking out of University, my decision to go to New Zealand without my husband for a month, and my pregnancy). Life is not easy. If it were, we wouldn't learn anything or have any fun.
I can't wait to welcome a new member of our family into this world. I know that with an incredible family like this, 'Peanut' will be lavished with unconditional and unwavering love and for that, I thank you all.

Shana Tova!

No comments:

Post a Comment