Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What's that leaking down my leg?

This morning at 2am, I'm pretty sure my water broke. It's now about three hours later and yes, I've been having painful and consistent contractions. Lucky for me, once I calmed down and realized what was happening, the contractions calmed down a little too. I'm currently typing this at about 5am EST and I'm still home and okay. 
For all you loyal readers, this also means that I won't be typing my blog for a little while so I can get used to having 'Peanut'. Don't worry. I'll be back but I can't say when. 

I called Mt. Sinai to let them know that I made a puddle on my floor (not in the bed, thank God!) and they said to get some rest and call before I come in. I won't be going until these contractions are fast and furious. 
Who can rest at a time like this? 
First of all, BABY IS COMING! I have 12 hours from 2am until I meet 'Peanut'! Wooooo!
Secondly, when I do have a contraction, it feels pretty unpleasant. For my ladies out there who have not given birth or experienced this before, I can only describe it (at this point) as really really intense menstrual cramps that radiate throughout your entire pelvis, stomach, and back. They come as a wave so you know its coming and it hits a peak of pain, then it subsides. I have found that I can bring on a contraction by farting (which makes farts even that much funnier). Also, after my water broke, I felt like nine months of feeling bloated finally eased. I don't have to waddle so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, contractions are painful and although I sound nonchalant about the whole deal, you have to remember that I've had these before with two (not one...TWO) ruptured ovarian cysts and three years of consistent tummy aches; so my pain threshold may seem a tad bit higher than the average person. 
Finally, labour is physical work. Unless I was to be scheduled for a routine c-section, I have to fuel up before this marathon. I can't sleep or rest when I'm hungry so I went downstairs as made a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs. I figured that protein would help sustain me considering I don't know when the next time I'm going to eat will be. No one said not to eat! If this proves to be a bad decision, I'll know for the future. If this results in me pooping on the table while I deliver 'Peanut' then so be it. I don't have to be down there to deal with it and the beauty of delivering at the hospital is that someone else will clean it up. 

I perceive Alex and I will be heading to the hospital in the next few hours and then the grand announcement of "THUNDER CATS ARE GO!!!" will have gone viral. In the meantime, I'm home and happy. I will do my best to post pics and stories of the rest of my labour but for now, I'm going to call my parents before they leave for work and lie down for a quick rest before all the excitement begins. 

1 comment: